Thursday, May 21, 2009

Handle with care


Well, I have finally finished it, the new Jodi Picoult!!!!!! It was a long one! Almost 500 pages. I usually stay in the 350 range having something to do with my screaming children. Speaking of children, what would you do if your child had a rare, incurable disease? Would it be better if he or she were never born? That is what Jodi tackles in her newest book. Willow is a child born with brittle bone disease, she had broken several bones before even being born. She will break hundreds in her life. She will probably die young from respiratory problems. Charlotte's best friend was her OB-GYN who saw something odd on the ultrasound. Should she have alerted Charlotte to the alternatives? This question brings about an astounding legal battle...wrongful birth. It will test the bonds of friendship and family and has a jaw dropping conclusion. I reread the page to be sure I read what I thought I read. Jodi as usual makes us think about what we would do under extraordinary circumstances, cherish the things we sometimes take for granted, and shake our heads in wonder. This was a hard book to read but I have never read anything like it before. Also if you want to try another by Jodi I would strongly recommend Nineteen Minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment