Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Best of 2009


As 2009 comes to a close, I look back at the year and think about the lessons I have learned and the changes I have made and still need to make. (Stop eating cookies will never be on this list.)

What I have learned:
Food tastes better when I don't cook it. As a matter of fact when I cook and don't eat, it makes Jim really scared. He just keeps smelling his food and asking me if I added a "secret" ingredient.

My hair has a mind of its own; unfortunately, it is the mind of a paranoid schizophrenic.

If I am required to read a book, I never finish it.

What I need to work on:
Chocolate cake is not always the answer, but at least after I eat one I forget the question.

No one can see the size on my pants, unless I wear them inside out, which has not happened for years.

Mistakes are OK. As a matter of fact, if everything went perfect, life would be so boring I would sleep through it.

Best of 2009
FICTION
The Girl She Used to Be by David Cristofano
When Melody was six, her family entered the Witness Protection Program after witnessing a mob killing. The mob found and "took care" of her parents. She is now 26, alone and very bored. So she calls WITSEC and tells them the Bovaro family has found her... not really she is just ready for a do over. WITSEC comes and spirits her off to a hotel while her new identity is assembled. Then in the middle of the night she awakes with a man standing beside her bed with a knife to her throat...and he calls her by her real name! She has been found by Jonathan, the mob boss's son. Jonathan said he has been sent to kill her but he has a plan...and then the fun starts. Who can she trust, the Feds or the hit man? My favorite part is when the Feds "catch" her and she has to call Jonathan's dad (scary mob boss) to get Jonathan's cell number so she can get him to come pick her up. I laughed and I cried; I hated for it to end. I had an urge to break out "The Sopranos" DVDs, which is funny since the movie rights to this book have been sold. Now who to play the main characters? Amy Adams or that cute girl from "The Big Bang Theory" for Melody? How about Milo Ventimiglia for Jonathan? I can't wait.

NON FICTION
Columbine by Dave Cullen
Dave Cullen takes us through the events leading up to Columbine, the actual shooting, and the aftermath with great accuracy. He tells us what REALLY happened. He dismisses the rumors surrounding the shooting such as Eric and Dylan being bullied or them targeting jocks or Christians. He also does not sensationalize the violence - there are NO pictures in the book. Just the school on the cover. I think he did a great job staying neutral and presenting all sides of the story. This book also gives a realistic portrayal of the life of the American teenager, and, trust me, it is a whole different world. I highly recommend this book... It is an eye opening experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment