Thursday, October 28, 2010

OK...I really think the producers of "The Middle" are basing their show on my life...where is my check?

"The Middle" is my new favorite show. I just laugh at Brick- the odd kid and Axl - the lazy teen who uses his textbook for a plate. I just laugh and snicker and fall into a delirious state all along thinking - this family is borderline dysfunctional, but cute and charming and that Patricia Heaton is so tiny and her husband on the show is so tall.

Well, watching an episode it occurs to us all at once (Jim, Jess, and Josh all watch it too), this show is like us.

So I started making a mental list of all the ways our family is like the Heck family, but since I cannot remember ANYTHING anymore I thought I should put pen to paper or at least chewed down fingernail to keyboard.

Ways we are like the Hecks:
  • I have used a magic marker to color my roots, I even used a marker on a dress once
  • My teenager was such a slacker in high school she almost added a fifth year to her high school experience
  • Our youngest is a little "different" so every year we have to go in and explain his oddities and then we are perceived as over parenting and it takes the entire year for us to prove we are slackers
  • The Hecks grocery shop at the "Frugal Hoosier" and Jim getting some groceries at Big Lots
  • We have gotten completely sloshed on Thanksgiving morning while frying the turkeys by putting liqueur in our coffee...Jim prefers Wild Turkey and I have found a gingerbread flavor
  • I wanted to be the "cool" parent who had my children's friends over only to discover that they find your cookie stash and you can never walk around in your jammies in the afternoon
  • Have turned out the cable only to find I suffered more than the kids...I know, what kind of kids am I raising?
  • Library books....I buy several library books a year only for Josh to "find" them later
  • The kids drive me so insane that even though they started the yelling contest it ends with me foaming at the mouth looking, well insane
  • We also talk about our day during commercials
I could go on and on...so ABC are you secretly taping us in our natural habitat? Don't we get residuals or some kind of check for that. The cable bill is overdue and it is my night to make dinner and the drive thru is not cheap!

No comments:

Post a Comment