Friday, December 17, 2010

As a child, I didn't experience much in the way of family and I usually find myself somewhat taken aback to see one at close range. "The Donna Reed Show" this was not. People talk about "dysfunctional" families; I've never seen any other kind. --Kinsey Millhone

Thanksgiving has come and gone. Each year I picture a wonderful Thanksgiving with all of the children sitting around the table happy, freshly scrubbed and well...thankful. Well, it did not exactly go as planned but it was still fun. Dinner was 2 hours behind. We could not find the thing that holds the turkey in the grease so we had to get another turkey fryer. Amanda's (Jim's oldest daughter) dog had a seizure and had to go home and take him to the vet. Zed the dog is fine. Her five year-old twins stayed with us. Jess had to leave for work at 3 a.m. so she had to go home and sleep. I asked her to take Jim's car since it is huge and she would be out at 3 am with all to the party people or worse those early bird Black Friday crazies and she assured me her little Jeep could handle the trip. Fast forward to 3:25...my phone rings and Jessica says "Mom, a deer hit me" to which I reply "You hit a deer?" to which she replies "No I was not moving so it hit me". She saw a doe run across the highway and she stopped figuring there was probably a buck close behind and wham! He hit her tire! Deer fur was all over her tire rim. Yuck! I had to look at the Jeep because last year she was sure someone put sugar in her gas tank (she didn't) and if I initiate another false insurance claim I am going up the river.

So I spent the rest of the weekend reading a paperback mystery....murder is always a good escape. I did discover a great author, Livia J. Washburn.

A peach of a murder is a cute cozy mystery perfect weekend reading. Phyllis is a retired teacher who desperately wants to win first prize in the baking contest at the Peach Festival but when a judge keels over after sampling her offering a blue ribbon is not in her future but a orange jumpsuit may be.

I am now starting Murder by the slice which is the second book in the series. This time the PTO president is stabbed with Phyllis's knife. Noboby stand near Phyllis!

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHA. I love it, this reminded me of the episode from season one of Gilmore Girls! Also, I've read over half the books on your shelf, and loved them, so now I know where to grab my next handful of reading ideas from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks....you are right, a deer did hit Rory. That is so funny!

    ReplyDelete