Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The dumbing down of Ronda...

OK I am not Einstein, in fact I am only a generation or two from illiteracy, but I think I am getting dumber by the day. I have never done any drugs and I only drink on holidays (or when all five of the kids are in the house at the same time) but still I am loosing brain cells faster than Lindsey Lohan can ask the bartender for another.

Well this year is going to be different! This year I will not ask Claire to buy "The White Trash Mom's Handbook". I will stop watching reruns of "My Name is Earl". I am going to stop (cut back on) reading books just because it is pink or has a high heel on the cover. I will no longer ask Josh if I have Google stamped on my forehead every time he asks me a question. I am going to smarten up in 2011.

The only Pulitzer Prize winning book I have ever read was "To Kill a Mockingbird". I have never read a National Book Award book. I have always tried to stay away from the "classics". Pat Conroy is the hardest author I have ever tried to read. Something has to change....only where to begin.

I got a copy of "Lonesome Dove" (Pulitzer Prize), but it is bigger than a dictionary. So I tried the movie, maybe that would help me get into the book. I told Jim he was going to have to turn on the subtitles because I could not understand them with the accents...and I am southern!

I just do not know where to go from here. Do I try "Pride and Prejudice" again? How about something from the Bronte sisters?  I am just stuck. I think I will pick up "March" by Geraldine Brooks, it won a Pulitzer and I have read "The Year of Wonders" that is like half credit already, right?

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ronda! Try "Confederacy of Dunces", it was a winner and it's fun!

    ReplyDelete