Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Facebook...one more thing I have to keep up with!


Winston and Atticus plotting

So I have finally joined Facebook. I have dreaded this moment and hoped the Facebook fad would pass. I made it through the MySpace faze. I am not computer illiterate - I text and all of the other stuff to stay in touch so do I really NEED the services of a social networking site?

Well, the children have Facebook pages, Jim has a Facebook page...I was really getting afraid that my guinea pig, Winston Churchhill or my satan kitty, Atticus Finch would have a Facebook page before I did! I swear they were whispering about something the other night.

So, yesterday in a moment of weakness I made my page...yeah! Now I have not had time to trick it out and add pics and stuff but I am on Facebook.

Please come be my friend...I am so afraid this will end up like middle school again and I will be in cyber space-- friendless, alone, abandoned.


Anywho...my page is http://www.facebook.com/rondatoddbain. Come and be my Facebook friend.

Books about social networking

The Winter of Our Disconnect: How Three Totally Wired Teenagers (and a Mother Who Slept with Her iPhone)Pulled the Plug on Their Technology and Lived to Tell the Tale by Susan Maushart
Mom goes crazy and puts her family on a six month hiatus from technology (no cellphones, iPods, PCs, laptops, game stations, or television).

Facebook: The Missing Manual by Emily A. Vander Veer
Here are 5 tips before you go on Facebook----

1. Never check the "Remember me" box when logging onto the site. (Doing so puts your account at unnecessary risk and saves you very little time or effort.)
2. When you register for the site, use your actual birthday so that your friends will get an automatic heads-up a few days before the Big Day (all the better to fete you with).
3. Never add compromising photos or info to your Facebook profile; bosses, teachers, hiring managers, and others can use legitimate means to see your profile *even if* you think you've adjusted your privacy settings to prevent them.
4. If you're on Facebook to find a gig (or a date), be sure to sprinkle keywords liberally in your profile descriptions. Doing so ups the odds of your appearing in other members' searches.
5. Before you fill out your profile, first head to the main menu and click the "privacy" link (little-p) and follow the steps in Chapter 12 of the book to customize who gets to see how much of your personal information.

No comments:

Post a Comment